Elementary schools across Westwind School Division will be implementing a new process when creating class lists in grades 1 to 6. As students are placed into a class for the upcoming school year by their current teachers, all of the following are considered and balanced:
- Overall Academic Strengths
- Friends at School
- Matching Student Personality/Needs to Teacher Strengths
- Additional Supports needed (for example, IPPs or Educational Assistant in class)
It is very complex to find a balance of all of those variables. We value parent input into this process; however, after class lists are completed, a request to move classes, though seemingly small, has compounding effects on the balance of those areas. Therefore, please be aware of the following information:
- We ask that all parent input happens before class lists are made. If you would like to provide us with information please visit our website and print a parent input page, fill it out and turn it in to our office (Please ring the doorbell at the front door or scan and email it to email@example.com). This form must be turned in by April 30. Late forms will not be considered.
- Requests made directly to teachers will not be considered. These sorts of requests can put teachers in a professionally compromising position with their colleagues and an awkward position with their community friends.
- Changes to class lists will not be made after class lists are completed.